Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DT] What tabletop board/card/mini/etc. games have you played recently?
(05-21-2015, 07:08 AM)Oedipussy Rex Wrote:
(05-20-2015, 01:41 PM)Kersus Wrote: How was Power Grid?

Good game. It has a double-sided board (Germany/US) with the base game and there are expansions with different nations, so if one country starts to feel stale, you can try another. The game I played was South Korea. The game itself is a bidding/network-building/resource management game. You bid for power plants, buy the resources to power the plants, and build a network of cities for the plants to power. At the end of the game, the player supplying power to the most cities wins. Note that that's "supplying power to the most cities," not the player with the most power or the most cites. It's possible that the player with the most cities cannot supply enough power and the person with the most power doesn't have enough cities.

I did finally get to play it a little bit ago. Four player in the US because the others didn't want to deal with names of cities they couldn't pronounce Confused  It was intriguing but a little longer than anticipated. I did like how the game worked. I think we didn't block off enough area before start which gave us too much space.

I snagged Ticket to Ride and Small World 2 from Steam on sale. It isn't tabletop, but it's cheaper than buying Small World Underground (which I will eventually).

I played Dead Panic again recently and it's soooo much better than Castle Panic.

I've also been playing on boardgamearena.com as lot lately. Mostly Kahuna, Tokaido, Can't Stop, and Hanabi.

I keep toying with the idea of the deluxe Hanabi game that uses tile/domino things instead of cards because I do like the game a lot.
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
Ran a session of Castles & Crusades - Beacon at Enon Tor. We didn't get too far but that's partially because I spent time on a boat into the village and dealing with local personalities which I made up on the fly.

The more I get into C&C, the less I really understand the appeal.

Also played Pandemic: Contagion 2 -player and we got trounced by the fake 3rd player as it's another game that claims to be 2-player but most certainly isn't. I wish they couldn't say 2-player if it isn't actually 2-player. Pandemic: Contagion and Pocket Imperium have been huge disappointments.

Hack! Card Game - Lost Tomb of Vectra..... I'd include a picture however I can't seem to get bluetooth working in Xfce.

Gold Digger

It's a deck of cards with gold cards (valued 1,2,3) and Boom cards. You draw until you want to stay safe or you get a boom card. Boom means you lose all the cards you drew. take turns. Most gold wins. Fast, easy, and more fun than I expected.

Pocket Imperium

Finally got to play 3-player. It was a ton of fun. We played two games and used a variant layout for the second game. I bought this as a 2-player game based on a GTM review that recommended it as such. It is not a 2 player game and sucks when you try using their 2-player rules. As three players, it was quite fun and actually quite a bit faster than with 2 players. It was also neat to play a game with my brother again. He taught me games as a kid and he and his friends taught me D&D 1978ish. Due to circumstances, we lost the ability to play games together for decades.

Snapshot

Made using Traveller 1e's combat system, it runs fast and furious (I never liked that Savage Worlds tagged that in some of the longest combats I've seen) and the included maps and chits are made for 15mm. We just used chits and did some simple combats using the smallest area of the ship. No one survived their first hit. The randomness of character generation makes things a little unbalanced at first glance, but since any hit generally drops the opponent, there isn't a huge difference. My opponent had a +3 to hit and I had a -1. We had a pretty even kill ratio despite that as tactics were more important.

I'd like to institute some of the rules from the original UFO: Enemy Unknown video game (aka X-Com).

Contagion

I really dislike this game. I'm not even sure why. I just don't enjoy it at all.

Pocket Imperium

Our first 4-player game. It was good fun. This game works well with 4, okay with 3, and horribly with 2. The big red fleet intimidated everyone and got ganged up on.

Darts, Fooseball, Horse Shoes, Beanbag Tic-Tac-Toe

Toying With Destruction

Well, I'm biased, but I think the game needs some work. Some ways to speed up the finale as well as altering the hp system. The army points aren't super balanced but they are simple and I want to keep it simple.

We player an AT-AT and AT-ST vs Millennium Falcon and a Bronco with a Baby passenger that threw puppies.

Zombie in my Pocket

People get too upset when they die.

Get Bit!

We played a number of times. It's a fun silly game that upsets the same people from ZimP.

Aquarius

A fantastic game of hippy dominoes. Less

Swap!

I used to hate this game but I really enjoyed playing it this time. We played a couple games.

Tanto Cuore: Oktoberfest

It's not as good as Expanding the House or Romantic Vacation in play and the art isn't as fun. The writing on the cards is way too small. Still the mechanics make up one of the best DBGs out there.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ascension: Rise of the Vigil

A little better than the original and much quicker, but still sloppy. It feels like a beta test version of the more well-rounded DC DBG (without any expansions - they suck and make DC much more like the original Ascension - long and sloppy).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wii Golf
Star Wars Edge of the Empire RPG - fun to play RPGs and such however the mechanics seem to get in the way of the game.
Played the Dark Outpost adventure using the Tarot based Psychosis mechanics (characters and challenged via Tarot cards - no pen, papr or dice needed). The adventure is a small part mystery and huge part survival and escape.
Brawl the real time card game.
Darts (Cricket)
Fooseball
X-Wing miniatures (hours to do 4 turns)
Art of War - fun little dice game to collect cards
Lost Legacy - Love Letter inspired game which may well be better than it's source. very quick and easy to follow game.

(02-23-2017, 04:17 PM)Kersus Wrote: Brawl the real time card game.

The Cheapass game? Good game. I wasn't quite as enamored with his followup, Fightball. I do miss the white box/envelope Cheapass games: These days he's all Kickstarter with fancy graphics and high quality stock. Feh. Give me the cheap in Cheapass.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade