Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ACT] Your last movie?
What recent movies have you seen, were they any good? How would you rate them?

The 5 star rating system seems popular so we'll go with that and half stars are allowed (which makes it a 10 point rating anyhow).

Off you go!
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
Weren't you scheduled to get your claws today? What are you doing posting?
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
Internet Telepathy? Boredom in the waiting room? Learning that no information is better than misinformation. Wondering when the bionics kick in? "Operating" on false assumptions?

The Dreamers

Really enjoyed the movie the first time I saw it many years ago, but unfortunately with this latest viewing, not even Eva Green naked for half the film was enough to get me into it. Don't get me wrong; Eva Green is always a delight, nude or not, I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for a film.

Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 4 for a superhero movie

The Intouchables, 3.5 for very funny
(04-19-2014, 10:06 AM)trp Wrote: Captain America: The Winter Soldier 4 for a superhero movie

The Intouchables, 3.5 for very funny
I really need to hobble into a theatre for Winter Soldier. I'd have to sit near wheelchair area and may need a stool to keep my leg up but still!

The trailer for intouchables looked hilarious. I had never heard of it, probably because I usually avoid subtitles these days (my brain can read or watch, it doesn't multitask). I may give this a try regardless. Thanks!

Upside Down (Romantic Sci-Fi) - It was very average. Watchable but nothing special. 2.5/5

Captain America: Winter Soldier 3D (Comic - MCE) - I very much enjoyed this. It was far superior to the first one IMO but the action scenes were not optimized for 3D and the camera seemed very shaky at times. Outside of the action the 3D shows that they're improving the effect. It felt like a long movie with some slow spots but overall I was really happy with it and it felt more like the Captain America I knew in the 80s and early 90s. 4.5/5

I recently reacquainted myself with the Garbage Pail Kids movie. This was brought on because I was working on selling some collectibles my grandparents had that have been sitting in an attic for the past 15+ years since their deaths, and among their collections were some of the actual physical Garbage Pail Kids cards I personally collected as a child.

As for the movie, I only had the vaguest of memories about it, so I was really watching it with fresh eyes. I fully expected it to be cheesy. I remember very little about it except that I wasn't crazy about the movie when I first saw it as a kid.

And it was cheesy. But I was also pleasantly surprised. It didn't quite follow the formula of cheesy movies of its era. It had all the right cheesy character archetypes, but there were a couple of times when you could see the movie unfolding to a happy ending and all of a sudden the story line would bang a hard left. The actual ending itself has an actual shred of complexity to it--not much but some--even as it crams the moral of the story down the audience's throats.

I'd give it 3 out of 5. This sort of movie would normally deserve a 1, but this particular one deserves a 2. The fact that I was genuinely surprised (a pretty hefty task for a movie I've seen before), and I love surprises that actually make sense more than anything else bumps it up to a 3.
Sleeping Beauty (1959 Disney) - This is a classic story and I always liked Maleficent. The animation is still fun even though the colours don't stick well (red fairy is purple sometimes) and they were still learning about perspective. I do find the early part long and slow, but that also seems more a product of the time. I miss when credits were at the start of the film. I'm not a fan of the music but otherwise as a kids version of the story, I will probably always like it. 4/5

The evil army reminds me a bit of the bad guys in Ralph Bakshi's Wizards.

I am sort of looking forward to Maleficent but am very sceptical that Jolie can pull it off. There are also two Sleeping Beauty's coming out this year. ONE TWO

I was disappointed in Maleficent's small role in Once Upon A Time.

Frozen (2013) - Honestly, I quite liked this. I have a bias toward Northern/Cold Weather stories and this is probably one of, if not my favourite Disney animation since Walt was alive. It was a solid movie through the climax however the way the "solution" occurred was a little anticlimactic and the epilogue wasn't very good. All in all though 4/5