Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rappan Athuk and DungeonSlayers
I posted over here: http://furiouslyeclectic.com/comment/242#comment-242
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
Since that didn't work out here's what I posted:

I was wondering what you thought about using SCHWA to run Rappan Athuk, converting on the fly? What sort of problems would you think I'd run into?

As well, I've been reading Dungeon2Go for Dungeonslayers and think their adventures would work seamlessly into SCHWA. I poke you to have a look. Smile

I've never played Rappan Athuk. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but although the adventure has been around since the early days of D&D in one form or another, it wasn't actually published until the so-called 3rd edition, the later converted to Pathfinder and the so-called 5th edition. I've never played Pathfinder or "5th". In general, I don't like d20 systems. I like dice. I like different dice. I like the opportunity for a lot of dice. Relying a single die for the game is annoying as shit. (Needless to say Dungeons & Dragons - the real D&D - AD&D, and HackMaster 4.0 are the exception to the rule.)( Besides, they also use d%. And either a d6 or d10 for initiative depending on the flavor.) (And 3d6 for skill checks depending on the variant rules.) (You know, come to think of it, These games never did rely solely on the d20.) (Additional parenthetical: I completely missed out on 2nd edition, so even though they were introduced earlier, I never played with non-weapon proficiencies.) All this is to say that I have no idea how Rappan Athuk would translate to ə.

Response to continue after some more reading.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
Dungeonslayers.

My understanding in combat is that if you have an attack of 12, 12 is the most damage you can deliver in a hit, and if you have a defense of 15, then 15 damage is the most you can avoid in an attack. So the amount of damage delivered is the result of the attack roll as long as the roll is under the attack value. A roll of 2 does 2 damage, a roll of 9 does 9, and a roll of 13 does 0, using an attack value of 12. Then the defender defends. If hit for 9 damage, a defense roll of 2 results in net damage of 7, a roll of 8 nets 1 damage, and a roll of 19 means he takes all damage if the defense value is the aforementioned 15.

If I have that right, it's a pretty clever system combining the need to roll both low and high in a single roll. Completely different from ə which uses the crude bludgeon of roll high early and roll high often. The earlier and oftener and higher the betterer. It also means that an entire game of Dungeonslayers can be played with a single d20. Completely antithetical to the philosophy of ə. (Dice are good, more dice are better.)

But how to convert. My initial thought is to use the value for Body/Agility/Mind as the die size (not Rank) for Warrior/Adventure/Sorcerer, respectively and use either sub-stat as the die size for possible damage dice, or by weapon. At a quick glance, it looks like you can keep HP values as Health. The problem comes with Defense. Again, just a glance, but it looks like you can use Dodge as the armor die, but those Defense values just won't work, mainly because Defense works in completely different ways in the two systems, so I'd go with my old stand-by: make something up.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
(11-16-2018, 09:19 PM)Oedipussy Rex Wrote: I've never played Rappan Athuk. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but although the adventure has been around since the early days of D&D in one form or another, it wasn't actually published until the so-called 3rd edition, the later converted to Pathfinder and the so-called 5th edition

I first heard of RA from Necromancer Games which when the D20 license came out of 3e they claimed to be the "First Edition Feel." I in no way have ever felt like their material was similar to 1e feel.

So yeah, 3e is the roots of the published product and supposedly it started back in the old days. The version I have is Swords & Wizardry which is a riff off of OD&D. The stat blocks are just a couple lines as opposed to 3e/5e half page things - thus the book is slimmer.

I've run RA a few times (always the same level). I honestly can't remember the first system I used.... Uhm... Something old-school. Last time I used BlueHack which is a more pulpy OD&D in that you roll to hit and you roll to avoid. The DM never rolls to hit you. I have altered it to you roll and either hit or are hit. Thus half the rolling. I think it's free (or PWYW) on DTRPG (or I could send you the file). It's supposed to be The Black hack but with a Holmes D&D spin. Essentially it runs really quickly but has a lot of rolling.

I would just look at RA as a mostly nonsensical megadungeon with tons of things that can kill you and yet comes down to what you choose to do as opposed to combat after combat. The hard part is that you can't easily play on the fly without reading ahead of time because there are so many things that could hear you and groups of humanoids split up. For example, brigands with a hideout inside a level where you might find yourself crushed between two forces or as we played, the leader fleeing to haunt the troupe another day. Add that to it being a ton of material and that characters can easily move between levels - it's hard to think ahead much as a GM.

Despite that, I have just played it on the fly and figured things out. I didn't do any conversions ahead of time for whatever systems I've used. None of my players even know I've used the same level multiple times because they've always picked a different direction.

I don't recall the impetus to my original question. Perhaps because I didn't like how BlueHack played out and I didn't want the bogginess of D20 style either and wondered if there were any thoughts on it. I'm guessing really.

One of the issues I had with SCHWA when I ran some DCC dungeon adventure was that a player liked Barbarians and so threw everything he could into Warrior, maybe a little into Adventurer and nothing into Sorcerer which when an attack dropped his Sorcerer die, he was done. For whatever reason, he tends to die in my games - probably because he tries to take things head on like in Traveller 1e when I warned him how deadly gunfire was and he died in the first encounter, shot. The rest of the group avoided being shot at.

I'm rambling.

Basically it's a situation of converting OD&D traps and monsters on the fly.